Learnex, English Forever ¡Aprende Inglés para Siempre!
Genuine listening has become a rare gift—the gift of time. It helps build relationships, solve problems, ensure understanding, resolve conflicts, and improve accuracy.
Here are some steps to help you develop effective listening skills.
- Step 1: Face the speaker and maintain eye contact.
- Step 2: Be attentive, but relaxed. Now that you’ve made eye contact, relax. You don’t have to stare fixedly at the other person.
- Step 3: Keep an open mind. Listen without judging the other person.
- Step 4: Listen to the words and try to picture what the speaker is saying. Allow your mind to create a mental model of the information being communicated.
- Step 5: Don’t interrupt and don’t impose your «solutions.»
- Step 6: Ask questions only to ensure understanding.
- Step 8: Try to feel what the speaker is feeling. Convey those feelings through your facial expressions and words—then your effectiveness as a listener is assured. Empathy is the heart and soul of good listening.
- Step 9: Give the speaker regular feedback.
Let’s see the video
Welcome to this activity created by Learning Advisor Ms. Monserrat Ramirez Bolaños from Coapa Branch. Take note of all the pink words, read the text, watch the video and answer the question in the comment section below.