Learnex, English Forever ¡Aprende Inglés para Siempre!
Empathy is simply recognizing emotions in others, and being able to «put yourself in another person’s shoes» – understanding the other person’s perspective and reality.
To be empathic, you have to think beyond yourself and your own concerns. Once you see beyond your own world, you’ll realize that there’s so much to discover and appreciate!
Developing an empathic approach is perhaps the most significant effort you can make toward improving your people skills. When you understand others, they’ll probably want to understand you – and this is how you can start to build cooperation, collaboration, and teamwork.
To start using empathy more effectively, consider the following:
- Put aside your viewpoint, and try to see things from the other person’s point of view.
- Validate the other person’s perspective.
- Examine your attitude.
- Listen to the entire message that the other person is trying to communicate.
- Ask what the other person would do.
- What is the difference between empathy and sympathy?
Welcome to this activity created by Learning Advisor Ms. Frida Sofia Olea Olvera from Reforma Branch. Take note of all the pink words, read the text, watch the video and answer the question in the comment section below.