Learnex, English Forever ¡Aprende Inglés para Siempre!
“Reading is meant for reading” …. This is the first logic we can find about the detective novels, but why are they so successful?
Some people believe that detectives’ literature is a way to escape from reality, nevertheless the detective story addicts claim that this literature is where you use the brains the most, allowing you to solve riddles and logical problems at its best.
So, why do people love this kind of literature? Probably its because of the definite plot, many “contemporary” novels are full of topics and plays that end nowhere; instead, detective stories’ readers must tidy up loose ends, apply logical solution to the problems inside the story, and last but not least, you must hold all your attention in order to complete the story.
Whenever you want to read this kind of literature, make sure you will be able to pay all your attention towards the lecture, therefore, you will start to solve many different problems in real life thanks to the practice made in your reading.
- Claim: State or assert that something is the case, typically without providing evidence or proof.
- Nevertheless: In spite of that; notwithstanding; all the same.
- Riddle: A question or statement intentionally phrased so as to require ingenuity in ascertaining its answer or meaning, typically presented as a game.
- Tidy Up: Put thing or places in order, bring order to.
- Whenever: At whatever time; on whatever occasion.
Make sure to understand all the context of your reading, even though you don’t know the meaning, you might get a close definition of that word. I.E.: Before America was found by Cristobal Colon, everybody thought that the Earth was flat. Let’s suppose we don’t know what flat means, so, with the context of the sentence, and with a little bit of general knowledge, we can deduce that flat means “plano”.
- Which do you think is the biggest advantage of reading this kind of novels?
Welcome to this activity created by Team Leader in Charge Mr. Rodrigo Valdés Uhthoff from Santa Fe Branch. Take note of all the pink words, read the text, watch the video and answer the question in the comment section below.