Learnex, English Forever ¡Aprende Inglés para Siempre!
HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS is a children´s story by Theodor “Dr. Seuss” Geissel written in rhymed verse with illustrations by the author. It follows the Grinch, a grouchy solitary creature who intends to put an end to Christmas by stealing Christmas-themed items from the homes of the nearby town Whoville on Christmas Eve.
The story was published as a book by Random House in 1957, and approximately the same time in an issue of RedBook. The book criticizes the commercialization of Christmas.
PLOT: The Grinch is a bitter, grouchy, cave-dwelling creature with a heart “two sizes too small” who is living as a hermit on a snowy Mount Crumpit, a steep high mountain just north of the town of Whoville, home of the Merry and warm-hearted Whos. His only companion in his unloved, but loyal dog Max. From his cave, the Grinch can hear the noisy Christmas Festivities that take place in Whoville. Continuously annoyed, he devices a wicked scheme to steal their presents, trees and food for their Christmas Feast.
After spending all night stealing stuff from the house of Whoville, the Grich travels back to the top of Mount Crumpit. Intending to dump all the Christmas stuff into the abyss. As drawn arrives, the Grinch expects the people in Whoville to let bitter and sorrowful cries, but it is confusing to hear them singing and a joyous Christmas song instead. He´s puzzled until it draws on him that maybe Christmas, perhaps , means a little bit more than just presents and feasting. The Grinch Shrunken Heart suddenly grows three sizes. The reformed and liberated Grinch returns to the village to give back all of the Whos Christmas stuff and participate in their Christmas Feast.
- Grouchy: Irritable and bad-tempered, grumpy.
- Intend To: To try to carry out an objective.
- Christmas Themed: Related to Christmas.
- Bitter: Someone who is bitter is angry and unhappy because they can´t forget bad things that happened in the past.
- Cave Dwelling: A cave used as a dwelling by primitive, prehistoric and recent tribes.
- Hermit: A person who lives alone and apart from the rest of society, especially for religious reasons.
- Steep High: Sharply angled.
- Warm-hearted: Kind and loving.
- Dump: To put down or drop something in a careless way.
- Abyss: A very deep hole that seems to have no bottom.
If you haven´t seen the movie yet, try to watch it and figure out what´s the main message of the film.
- What do you think about “How the Grinch stole Christmas”?
Welcome to this activity created by Team Leader in Charge Juan Guadalupe Vaca Pérez and Junior Advisor Maria Jose Elizalde Davila from Satelite Branch. Take note of all the pink words, read the text, watch the video and answer the question in the comment section below.